On 4 July 2018, the Hon Dave Kelly, Minister for Innovation and ICT, announced a new Games Industry Growth Pilot to help connect the Western Australian games industry with the global market and encourage growth of the local industry. The announcement can be viewed here.
The Games Industry Pilot forms part of the WA Government’s New Industries Fund, which is supporting new and emerging businesses in WA to create jobs and diversify the economy.
The Games Industry Growth Pilot includes:
- a new International Access Pass program that is providing grants of up to $5,000 to individuals to travel to major games industry conferences;
- commercialisation skilling for International Access Pass recipients so they can make the most of the business networking opportunities; and
- sponsorship to showcase WA’s games industry at major industry events.
The Hon Dave Kelly announced 13 International Access Pass awards to talented members of the WA games industry on 1 February 2019. The recipients will travel to USA, Europe, New Zealand and within Australia.
The awards that have been made are:
- Three Superstar Awards for people who offer a great product that that is ready to take to the world and can deliver business results (Vee Pendergrast, Stacey Fazackerley and Anthony Sweet);
- Two Bright Spark Awards for recent WA graduates Elin Tan (Curtin University) and Brian Fairbanks (Murdoch University);
- A Trailblazer Award goes to Jessica Watson, an outstanding candidate who brings expertise in motion capture into the WA games industry and works extensively to develop skills in others;
- Three New Horizons Awards for application of games into other sectors – Megan Pusey (games to build resilience in education), Zoe Pepper (technology to support play and connection with audience), and Julio Ibanez (virtual and augmented reality simulation in mining, real estate, tourism and care industries).
- Two Teamed Up Awards, one to Hungry Sky (Nick Lowe and Minh Tran) and the other to Dogmelon (Ant Wiese and Dan Fletcher).
More detail on the International Access Pass Award Recipients can be found at the link below:
Applications for the International Access Pass program closed 5pm AWST on Thursday, 22 November 2018.
A second round was announced by Minister Kelly on 12 July 2019. Further details to come soon.
If you would like to receive updates on games industry initiatives please email firstname.lastname@example.org.