State Government investment in science supports the development and diversification of Western Australia's economy and delivers a range of benefits for the State.
The department works collaboratively with a range of partners to support the delivery of science priorities in the State. This also includes managing State Government funding in a range of programs and projects.
Premier's Science Fellowship Program
We are now accepting applications for the 2017 Round of the Premier's Science Fellowship Program
. This round will provide funding support over four years to attract a leading researcher and a supporting early to mid-career researcher as a package to address an area of need in Western Australia related to human phenomics research and data analysis.
Science and Agribusiness Connect
The Science and Agribusiness Connect initiative
aims to build the capability of Western Australia’s agricultural science sector by developing the State’s research excellence in agriculture; boosting the work readiness of students in agriculture; and fostering entrepreneurship and innovation in the sector.
SAC's three constituent programs are:
SAC is part of the $400 million Seizing the Opportunity - Agriculture initiative and has been made possible by the State Government's Royalties for Regions program.
Applied Research Program
To date funding from the Applied Research Program
has been allocated for:
- Shark Hazard Mitigation: This funding assists companies and universities to develop new technologies and devices to mitigate shark attack on beachgoers.
- Beach Enclosure Trial: This funding has been provided to conduct a beach enclosure trial in Western Australia.
Other current programs
The department also manages the following funding programs:
- The Western Australian Fellowships Program attracts world-class researchers from interstate and overseas to lead research in Western Australia.
- The Innovation Co-investment Program invests in innovative research that will bring significant Commonwealth, international or industry research funding to Western Australia.
- The Premier's Science Awards Program celebrates the State's best in scientific research and science engagement.
The department also manages State Government funding for a range of other projects, research facilities and centres. For further information please visit the Other Funding page
on this website.